With the current data deluge; companies, governments, and non-profit organisations alike are striving to convert information into actionable information and insight. The sheer “volume”, “velocity” and “variety” of today’s data pose unique challenges and also creates unique opportunities. Present data sets require more programming, mathematics/statistics, modelling skills, and domain knowledge than a traditional undergraduate curriculum offers. In line with the guidelines provided by HEC Pakistan, the BS (Data Science) program has been designed in such a way that it focuses on computation, simulation, visualization, prediction of complex phenomena (e.g. customer behaviour, economic trends and medical data) and complex mathematical models to facilitate interpretation of data.
BS (Data Science) has a dual emphasis on basic principles of statistics and computer science, with foundational training in statistical and mathematical aspects of data analysis. This program, in addition, develops foundation on broad computer science principles, including algorithms, data structures, data management and machine learning. The program is suitable for students interested in either a career in industry or who wish to pursue more specialized graduate study. This program will prepare students for a career in data analysis, combining foundational statistical concepts with computational principles from computer science.
Market demand for Data Scientists and careers a degree in Data Science can lead to
In every facet of modern life, from online shopping and social networks to scientific research and finance, we collect immensely detailed information. Data scientists are concerned with turning this data into intelligence through the application of cutting-edge techniques in Statistics, Mathematics and Computer Science.
Global demand for combined statistical and computing expertise outstrips supply, with evidence-based predictions of a major shortage in this area for at least the next 15 years. For graduates of Data Science, this shortage presents opportunities to forge careers in a large number of areas involving quantitative data analysis and computational skills. These include commerce (e-commerce), finance, government, genomics and other areas of “big science”, entertainment and sport, education and academic research. Career opportunities include business intelligence analyst, data mining engineer, data architect and data scientist. Graduates will also be highly adaptable to new data-related challenges as they arise, perhaps in hitherto unforeseen fields.
Knowledge of how to apply analytic techniques and algorithms (including statistical and data mining approaches) to large data sets to extract meaningful insights.
Acquisition of hands-on experience with relevant software tools, languages, data models, and environments for data processing and visualization.
Ability to communicate results of analysis effectively (visually and verbally) to a broad audience.
Ability to extract useful knowledge from data in various forms that help drive evidence-based decisions.
To prepare students to stand out in one of the world’s fastest growing careers.
- FA/FSc or Equivalent qualifications with at least second division, securing 50% marks in aggregate.
- The students who have not studied Mathematics at intermediate level must pass deficiency courses of Mathematics of 6 credit hours within one year of their regular studies.
- Qualifying the admission test and interview is compulsory. A candidate scoring less than 40% marks in the test and interview will stand disqualified for admission.
- Candidates who have secured at least 40% in the NTS-NAT are also eligible to apply.
- The merit of a candidate shall be measured by a 50 % weight age to the marks obtained in HSC or equivalent, 40 % to the marks obtained in the written test, and 10% to the marks obtained in the interview.
- A candidate shall be given a special credit of thirty marks for admission in each program mentioned above if he/she has studied Computer Science and/or statistics at intermediate level (for BS Data Science program only) at intermediate level or has done A level.
- The Hafiz Quran shall be given a special credit of 20 marks.
- The credit marks shall be added to the marks obtained at HSC or equivalent, subject to fulfilment of basic eligibility criteria of 50% marks.
The BS (Data Science) is a 4 year degree program, spread over 8 semesters. Students are required to complete 136 credit hours of study in the program.